Sustainable Building Design from Past to Present
In this course, the modern and historic building design will be studies in the cities of Vienna, Munich, and Prague. We will be visiting multiple structures during our trip that showcase the application of sustainable building design in European countries. We will compare and contrast the difference between modern and historic sustainable design and systems and we will gain an understanding of the opportunities and challenges for sustainability the occur in historically prominent locations.
TEC 4531-145: Sustainable Building Design from Past to Present – 3 credits
TEC 4532-145: Sustainable Building Design from Past to Present – 3 credits
All students are strongly urged to attend a Faculty-led Study Abroad Financial Workshop prior to submitting the signed application to OIED. These workshops are held throughout the semester. We will answer your questions about program payment schedule, cancellation policy, financial aid and other funding sources, financial planning, and other related topics. ALL IN-PERSON WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD IN THE PLEMMONS STUDENT UNION. Online and evening workshops are available on (TBD). For workshop dates and to register for a workshop, please click here.
Paid to Appalachian State
1Tuition and fees for summer programs can be found at this link. After selecting the appropriate summer tuition and fees cost sheet scroll down to "Study Abroad Rates". Please note that summer tuition and fees are updated during the spring semester.
2Program Cost includes airfare, in-country program transportation, lodging, international health and evacuation insurance, program events, some meals, and OIED/CCS administrative fee.
Estimated Additional Costs
1Personal expenses includes but is not limited to: toiletries, cell phone, emergency funds, laundry, clothing, utilities, basic travel and entertainment, etc.
2Some non-US citizens may need to apply for a visa prior to entering Austria, Germany, and/or the Czech Republic.
Please note that non-billable costs are estimates only and will be affected by personal spending habits, currency fluctuations, etc. Prices listed in USD unless otherwise noted.
Students are encouraged to start planning for their study abroad program costs well in advance. Please use the Student Financial Planning Worksheet
to help estimate your anticipated expenses and your anticipated financial resources. When planning for estimated additional costs students are encouraged to research currency conversion rates
. To see a total of the estimated costs for this program please visit the program budget sheet
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control. Further details about Appalachian's withdrawal/cancellation policy can be found at this link.
||Submit with application
If you plan to use any form of financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships) to participate in a short-term, faculty-led education abroad program, we strongly recommend that you take the following steps before applying to the program:
- Complete your FAFSA for the academic year in which the program is offered. Please be mindful of Financial Aid deadlines!
- Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website at http://financialaid.appstate.edu/study-abroad. Read all the information carefully and print the Study Abroad Agreement Form for the appropriate term that you are requesting an increase in financial aid due to studying abroad.
- Go to the Office of Financial Aid on the second floor of the JET Building to discuss your financial aid eligibility with Laura Blalock PRIOR to applying to the program.
Each semester OIED offers a variety of different scholarship opportunities for students. Scholarship awards range from $250 to $2000.
For information about additional scholarships please visit our External Scholarships
The international component of this course will run from 5/29/2021 to 06/12/2021.
Three (3) pre-departure meetings. Dates and time TBD.
One post-program meetings. Date and time TBD.
Christopher Schoonover, P.E.
Practitioner in Residence, Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment
Dr. Reza Foroughi
Assistant Professor, Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment
How to Apply
- CONTACT THE FACULTY DIRECTOR TO DISCUSS THE PROGRAM
- SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION
- Log in to AppalNET/Banner Self-Service.
- Select the "Direct Link to Web Self-Service" using your AppState username and password.
- Select the Student Tab.
- Scroll down and click on the "Faculty-Led Study Abroad Application Packet*" link.
- Select the program-specific application form from the programs drop-down menu.
- Fill out, save, and submit the online application.
- PRINT, SIGN, AND DATE THE PAPER APPLICATION FORM
- PAY THE NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT
- Walk to the Office of Student Accounts, located on the 2nd floor of the John E. Thomas building and pay by cash, check, or debit card.
- Give the name and term of your program to the Cashier who will look up the deposit charge on your account (e.g., Poland COM Summer 1).
- Pay the non-refundable deposit by check, cash, debit card, or money order.
- Pay through the Touchnet online payment system. If using the Touchnet system please make sure that you are making the payment for the international charges. Please see the Touchnet Payment Instructions.pdf.
- SEND YOUR SIGNED PAPER APPLICATION TO OIED
- During the pandemic, OIED is unable to receive signed applications in our office.
- To expedite processing of your application, scan it or use your smartphone to photograph it in its entirety and send the digital copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then follow one of the two steps below.
- If you are on campus, put the signed application in an envelope clearly marked "OIED" and hand it to a clerk at the campus post office. No postage is necessary.
- If you are off campus, mail it to Appalachian State University, Attn: OIED, ASU Box 32803, Boone, NC 28608. Please note that there is no need to send it by Priority Mail, certified mail, or by courier (e.g., UPS or FedEx). First class mailing is sufficient.
- OIED will make your enrollment official upon receipt of your signed paper application and verification of deposit payment.
All students are strongly urged to view the Faculty-led Study Abroad Financial Workshop
slide presentation prior to submitting the signed application to OIED.
You are strongly encouraged to share the information contained in the Faculty-Led Education Abroad Program Online Student Application Form with your family and loved ones, before submitting your application.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
Programs are open until full. If a program is full, the Faculty-led Education Abroad Program Online Student Application Form for that program will be deactivated and you will no longer be able to apply. The application deadline is 03/15/2021 but applications are accepted on a rolling basis so students are encouraged to apply early.
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control.