Special Topic: Global Forensic Analytics
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2018. SEE HOW TO APPLY TAB FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Students will attend classes on Global Forensic Analytics, and team up with local students to practice using forensic analytics tools and techniques. After acquiring basic knowledge and skills in these two areas, students will visit two of the Big Four accounting firms - Deloitte, PWC, Ernst & Young, and KPMG, and interview with their data analytics teams specialized in forensic data analytics. These teams will assign a practical forensic analytics project to each student team so that they can explore the use of right tools and techniques in resolving practical forensic analytics problems on site. Student teams will present findings to each other and forensic analytics teams for feedback.
Working in coordination with local information systems & accounting students, and top accounting firms, my students will explore the industry practice of forensic data analytics. The goal is to provide extensive opportunities for experiential learning. During free time, students will tour cultural and historical sites with local students in Taiwan.
CIS 3530 – Special Topic: Global Forensic Analytics – 3 credits
All students are strongly urged to attend a Faculty-led Study Abroad Financial Workshop prior to submitting the signed application to OiED. These workshops are held throughout the semester. We will answer your questions about program payment schedule, cancellation policy, financial aid and other funding sources, financial planning, and other related topics. ALL IN-PERSON WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD IN THE PLEMMONS STUDENT UNION. Online and evening workshops are available on (TBD). For workshop dates and to register for a workshop, please click here.
Billable Program Cost: $ 3,890.00
Includes: airfare, in-country program transportation, lodging, international health and evacuation insurance, program events, some/most meals, and OIED/CCS administrative fee.
Estimated Additional Student Cost: $ 360.00 (Summer tuition not included. See below for estimate.)
Estimated costs include but are not limited to: personal expenses ($200), and most meals ($160).
Undergraduate summer tuition for 2018 is estimated at $475 for 3 credits.
* Non-US citizens may need to apply for a visa before entering Taiwan
** Tuition and fees for summer program are not included in this cost. Please go to this link
and scroll down to "Study Abroad Rates" to determine what tuition and fees you will be charged based on your individual status. Please note that summer tuition and fees are updated during the spring semester.
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control. Further details about Appalachian's withdrawal/cancellation policy can be found at this link.
||Submit with application
If you plan to use any form of financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships) to participate in a short-term, faculty-led education abroad program, we strongly recommend that you take the following steps before applying to the program:
- Complete your FAFSA for the academic year in which the program is offered. Please be mindful of Financial Aid deadlines!
- Visit the Office of Financial Aid's website at http://financialaid.appstate.edu/study-abroad. Read all the information carefully and print the Study Abroad Agreement Form for the appropriate term that you are requesting an increase in financial aid due to studying abroad.
- Go to the Office of Financial Aid on the second floor of the JET Building to discuss your financial aid eligibility with Kim Overcash or Laura Sullivan PRIOR to applying to the program.
The international component of this course will run from 05/28/2018 to 06/06/2018.
Four (4) pre-program meetings. Dates and times TBD.
Dr. Charlie Chen
Walker College of Business
Dr. Chen has more than 12 years of international travel and teaching experiences with student groups in China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, and Spain. He is dedicated to growing students into future global business leaders in those countries via exciting, educational, and exhilarating study abroad learning experiences. Programs led by Dr. Chen offer students a rich study abroad experience that will last a lifetime. Contact Dr. Chen for the upcoming 2018 study abroad trip to Japan.
Dr. Dinesh Dave
Walker College of Business
Dr. Dave has traveled different countries such as: India, Singapore, Malaysia, England, Thailand, and New Zealand. He have been teaching at Appalachian State University since 1988 and has taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate level classes in the Walker College of Business. Additionally, Dr. Dave has taught courses at the Institute of Management Technology in Ghaziabad (near New Delhi), India.
How to Apply
- CONTACT THE FACULTY DIRECTOR(S) TO DISCUSS THE PROGRAM
- SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION
- Log in to AppalNET/Banner Self-Service.
- Select the "Direct Link to Web Self-Service" using your AppState username and password.
- Select the Student Tab.
- Scroll down and click on the "Faculty-Led Study Abroad Application Packet*" link.
- Select the program-specific application form from the programs drop-down menu.
- Fill out, save, and submit the online application.
- PRINT, SIGN, AND DATE THE PAPER APPLICATION FORM
- PAY THE NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT
- Walk to the Office of Student Accounts, located on the 2nd floor of the John E. Thomas building.
- Give the name and term of your program to the Cashier who will look up the deposit charge on your account (e.g., Poland COM Summer 1).
- Pay the non-refundable deposit by check, cash, debit card, or money order. Please note that Student Accounts can no longer accept credit card payments in person, but they can take credit card payments online. Online credit and debit card payments are subject to a non-refundable 2.75% transaction fee.
- BRING YOUR SIGNED PAPER APPLICATION TO OIED
- Walk to the Office of International Education and Development (OIED), located on the 3rd floor of Plemmons Student
Union, Suite 321.
- OIED will make your enrollment official upon reception of your signed paper application and verification of deposit payment.
All students are strongly urged to attend a Faculty-led Study Abroad Financial Workshop prior to submitting the signed application to OiED. These workshops are held throughout the semester. We will answer your questions about program payment schedule, cancellation policy, financial aid and other funding sources, financial planning, and other related topics. ALL IN-PERSON WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD IN THE PLEMMONS STUDENT UNION. Online and evening workshops are available on (TBD). For workshop dates and to register for a workshop, please click here
You will NOT be enrolled in the program until you have completed all 5 steps above.
You are strongly encouraged to share the information contained in the Faculty-Led Education Abroad Program Online Student Application Form with your family and loved ones (including the Student Handbook), before submitting your application.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION:
Programs are open until full. If a program is full, the Faculty-led Education Abroad Program online student application form for that program will be deactivated and you will no longer be able to apply. The application deadline is 03/15/2018 at the latest.
Appalachian reserves the right to cancel or alter the program format or to change costs in case of conditions beyond the university's control.